Our Commitment to the Environment
We are committed to being a good steward of the environment in all aspects of our business. We understand the far-reaching effects of our actions, and recognize our responsibility as a global company to conserve resources and minimize waste.
Within the framework of our ISO 14001 registered Environmental Management System (EMS), Blue Coat is committed to reduce pollution, comply with applicable laws, and continuously improve our environmental performance.
All employees and contractors on Blue Coat premises are expected to follow our Environmental Policy and to report any environmental concern or opportunities to leadership and/or the EMS Council.
Earth-Friendly Programs & Initiatives
Responsible technology recycling is good for both business and the environment. Blue Coat’s Product Recycling Service, comparable to recycling programs at much larger companies, helps mitigate contribution to the e-waste problem from our products.
We sponsor a variety of other programs, which focus on driving carbon footprint and cost reductions across our business:
- Server Consolidation: Significant changes to IT infrastructure reduce power consumption from servers and other resources
- Design for Environment (DfE): Engineering and development efforts create more energy-efficient products that consume less resources and are both reusable and recyclable
- Travel Reduction: Companywide programs, coupled with video conferencing systems and other virtual meeting enablers, provide cost- and resource-saving alternatives to domestic and international travel
- Employee Activities: Volunteer events, employee education and annual Earth Day activities provide opportunities for employees around the world to get involved
- Efficient Product Movement: Worldwide product fulfillment is streamlined to reduce costs and carbon emissions, and to increase responsiveness to customers
- Process Efficiency: Electronic product documentation, as well as Blue Coat’s use of smart printer/copiers, reduces paper consumption while increasing automation and efficiency
- Zero-Waste-to-Landfill: Our goal is to divert over 90 percent of Blue Coat-generated waste from landfill by 2016